Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Pride month humbug

I really don't know what all of hullabaloo is all about concerning pride. I guess I have to quote a passage from a book by Darren Main called hearts and minds. "There is an axiom that only a fool is proud of what he can't help being. I was lucky to have been born gay, but that evokes a sense of gratitude, not pride. For me, pride is the result of commitment, accomplishments and character." Otherwise I don't feel pride. I am proud of what we have accomplished and I am proud of the fact that we can walk hand in hand together. I am proud of what we have accomplished politically and that we have become a force to be reckoned with. No longer do we have to hide in the proverbial closet but instead we are standing out in the open so that people know who we are. It's easy to be prejudiced when you don't know someone who is gay but it's really hard to be that way when you know someone personally who is gay. For this I am proud. We still however have a long way to go to break down barriers and gain full equality. As Harvey Milk would say we have to be out there and let people know who we are because that's the only way we can gain acceptance and I think he's 100% correct. How about you?

No comments: